Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Best Thing to Happen to my Marriage

was loss and infertility. DH and I had a fight a couple of weeks ago. It was over something completely stupid, but we didn't speak to each other the whole night. The next day we made up and got over it and I started to think back. It had been a long, long time since we had a fight. We used to do the immature not speaking to each other thing at least once a month. It was always over silly things, but we still did it. Thinking back, I can't remember the last time this happened besides our recent fight. The first few days after my D&C last year I woke up crying and spent my days on the couch not speaking to anyone. I expected DH to tell me to get up and treat our loss as if it wasn't a big deal. But he didn't. He brought home dinner each night and sat on the couch with me while we watched TV (he normally sticks to his recliner). He supported me through my grief, attending therapy with me and even reading a book about how husbands deal with miscarriage. Throughout the past year and our struggles to get pregnant again I sometimes forget that he's in this with me. It's not just me who suffers. I was counting the months since we started TTC to fill out my RE paperwork and before I could even finish he said, "it's been a year and a half." Oh yeah, he's been trying with me. He wants a baby too. I hate those stupid sayings about everything happening for a reason or good things coming from bad experiences, but I will say this. This journey has been horrible and awful-- but I love my husband more than I've ever loved him, or ever thought I would. Loss and infertility have given us a stronger, better marriage. I'm betting that's the only good thing we'll get from this. Oh yeah, and Shorty.

In other news, RE appointment is on Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, your DH is so sweet! I agree, this is one good thing to come out of infertility. An infertile friend told me before I even started trying, "If your marriage can survive infertility, it can survive anything." I'm sure now that she's right. Good luck Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)) you've got a winner! and i totally know that feeling of, "wow...we've made it through all this!" ((hugs)) guess i'm just trying to say...i agree :) much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great feeling when you realize if you have to go through IF bullshit it's a good thing you've got this guy. I couldn't imagine doing it with anyone else. At least the universe didn't give us complete FU, and paired us with the most perfect partners for this challenge.
    *here for icomleavwe*

    ReplyDelete