Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dear PETA


Are you fucking serious???? A friend in my support group linked this blog post to us. Keiko at Hannah Wept, Sarah Laughed (a GREAT infertility blog) wrote an open letter to PETA about their vasectomy campaign. Yes, you read that right. VASECTOMY campaign. National Infertility Awareness Week is April 24-30. Many of my readers suffer from infertility, so I hope you're as outraged as I am by PETA's campaign. To HONOR (yes, HONOR) National Infertility Awareness Week, PETA is offering a free vasectomy to one lucky man who has recently had his dog or cat spayed or neutered.  He can be "reproduction-free, free of charge, just like his pooch or feline friend."

From PETA: Human overpopulation is crowding out animal life on the planet, and dog and cat overpopulation is creating a euthanasia crisis that is a crying shame. Disappearing wilderness, vanishing water resources, and pollution is the price that future generations will pay for more human births...

I LOVE animals. My dog is everything to me, and I got her spayed as soon as she was old enough. Animal overpopulation is a big problem in the US and I believe in being responsible and NOT breeding your pet. There are so many pets who need homes. I'm also a teacher, and I've seen my fair share of children whose parents don't give a crap about them. That DOES NOT in ANY way (yes, I am shouting) mean that infertility is justified because there are too many children in the world. Everyone deserves the chance to have their own biological children. EVERYONE. Yes, there are many children who don't have good homes. But it's not like you can go to a shelter and pick one out. I don't mean that to sound flippant but people say "Oh, you can adopt" like it's so easy. THOUSANDS of dollars, tons of paperwork, home visits, etc. are part of the process to adopt a child. IT IS NOT EASY. There are countless infertile couples waiting for a baby right now. So for PETA to imply that infertility is population control and that we should just take what we've been given and adopt is BULLSHIT.

If you agree, tell PETA that INFERTILITY IS NOT A JOKE by signing this petition.

2 comments:

  1. Celebrating an Infertility Awareness Week by, in essence, congratulating us on our infertility? Hmmm...can you feel my sense of rage rising? I haven't calmed down from yesterday.

    Make a donation to Resolve in Ingrid Newkirk/PETA's name. :-)

    ReplyDelete