Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Very peculiar... (updated)

Something really strange happened today. I hope you can keep up with me because it's a little complicated. Two of the three agencies we are working with post their birthmother information online (they give us a user name and password after we are active). One agency (we'll call them #1) only posts race, due date, and cost of adoption and then we call to get more info. The other (#2) posts more, including initials, age, and specifics about prenatal care and support in the adoption, and they call us if we are being considered. #1 is the agency currently showing us. We were given many details about the situation so we can make an informed decision, so I have more than a page of notes on the birthmother and birthfather for this situation.

I decided to get on agency #2's website today just to see if any new birthmothers had been posted. Imagine my surprise to see a situation that looked EXACTLY like the one we are currently being presented to with agency #1. I remember seeing this situation on agency #2's website several weeks ago, and I wondered why we hadn't been called because it fit our budget and preferences.

I decided to call agency #1 and let them know what I saw. I spoke with the our adoption coordinator for this situation and she said it was probably just a coincidence. She was very nice but pretty much dismissed me. Then she called back a few minutes later. She said "Wow, that is really strange, those details are the same as our birthmother's even down to the initials and age." She did say that sometimes agency #2 will post information about a birthmother as soon as they get an application- before they've even started working with her. I'm hoping that's the case and this birthmother applied with both agency but just decided to go with agency #1 instead. Agency #1 assured me that they are looking into it and will get to the bottom of what's going on. Our coordinator didn't say that we haven't been chosen, so I'm assuming the birthmother is still looking at all the profiles and we haven't been ruled out.

Phew. Hope that makes sense. I feel a little uneasy now......

UPDATE: Our coordinator, who's been wonderful, called again last night to let me know what's going. They went and talked to the birthmother yesterday. Apparently she applied at agency #2, but didn't feel as comfortable there so she never pursued it. Agency #1 and #2 use the same doctors so agency #1 did check with the doctors to make sure birthmother hasn't been in with more than one agency. I'm glad this is settled, but it makes me question agency #2. Why are they putting her information on their website if the birthmother isn't fully committed to work with them? I don't understand that. But the coordinator did say that birthmother has looked at profiles, but she is waiting to talk with birthfather so they can make a final decision. So we are still "in the running." To be honest, I'm just waiting for the phone call that we weren't chosen. I just can't imagine that we'd actually get a baby......

6 comments:

  1. I hope you're right. I'm glad agency #1 is looking into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys have the coordinator to try to look into these things for you. That does seem like an awful big coincidence. I have my fingers crossed for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like your coordinator. Kudos to her for looking into it, and double kudos to you for even noticing it!

    It does seem strange, though, that agency #2 posted her information if she's not working with them. Does this give you pause about working with them in the future?

    Of course, I hope you get a call that you ARE picked. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow. Glad your coordinator was able to solve the puzzle. I would wonder the same things about agency #2...

    Hoping you get a call soon saying you were chosen!! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you caught it and agency 2 does seem a little odd. I hope you get a call with good news soon, you're due!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is interesting! Good luck and maybe this is the one, I know it is hard to be optimistic after everything.

    Happy ICLW #16

    ReplyDelete