Growing up we spent a lot of time at my grandma's house. I remember she had a copy of The Little Engine That Could and I loved reading it. When I began teaching I made sure to have a copy of it in my classroom. I remember watching the little train huff and puff and say "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can." and finally make it up the big hill. I felt so proud of him. Right now I feel like I'm at the bottom of that hill.
I had our second call with our adoption consultant, N, yesterday. Honestly, I don't know how people navigate the adoption process on their own. She has been such a huge help and she truly knows what she's doing. I would be so overwhelmed and lost without her. I spent the last 2-3 weeks working on our profile, which I thought turned out pretty well. I sent it to N last week so she could look it over and comment. She said many great things about it, but there is a lot I need to rewrite. I need to be more specific and change my language to appeal to birth mothers. Again, I'm so thankful for N because many of the things she pointed out I never would have thought of. For example, I put a picture of my nephew holding Shorty (our dog) and said she likes when he comes over to play. To me, it was obvious I was trying to say that Shorty is gentle with kids and will be gentle with ours. N said tell a specific story about how our nephew was playing with Shorty and Shorty was gentle, then end it by saying, "Shorty would love to play and be gentle with your child." Your child. Those words I must repeat over and over in the profile. I thought it would bother me to write or say it, but it really doesn't. It is her child and will be in some way forever and I need to respect and acknowledge that.
N works out of Florida and the agencies she recommended are either there or in Utah. Utah law is very adoption friendly- the birth mother can sign over consent 24 hours after the birth and it is immediately irrevocable. Don't believe the stories people tell you about birth mothers coming back for their babies. It does happen, but it's rare and most states have laws that protect the adoptive parents. A birth mother would have to prove she was either coerced or that the adoption wasn't carried out legally. The media has blown stories like this way out of proportion. Remember that book and movie, Losing Isaiah? I read and watched both. It was a private adoption and it was carried out illegally. Again, I'm so thankful for N because she works with these agencies regularly and knows they are professional and legal.
Now, let's about discount babies. I don't mean that to be offensive to anyone. It truly boggles my mind. DH and I decided we are very open to mixed races. All our nieces and nephews are biracial. DH's sister has a son who is African American and Caucasian, and DH's brother's wife is from Panama so his kids are South American (not sure if that's the right term) and Caucasian. I never thought about it before we decided on adoption, but if DH and I had a bio child it would be the only Caucasian grandchild in the family at this point! N was going through the list of agencies she gave me and many have a flat fee for Caucasian or Hispanic and a lower fee for biracial. Also, many wave their application fees if you are open to other races. N explained that there are many factors that go into it and many times a birth mother who is pregnant with a biracial child comes to the agency later and has less expenses, the state subsidizes some adoptions from other races, etc. I still don't get it. Why wouldn't anyone want those kids just as much as a Caucasian one? I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that people don't want society to immediately know their child is adopted. I realize that there are people who will make comments if DH and I have a child from another race. But there are stupid people everywhere who will make comments regardless of the situation. We are open to other races because we will love a child no matter what, not because it will be cheaper and/or less likely to fall through. Again, I hope I'm not offending anyone because I can see how this would be a heated issue.
So back to my title. I contacted the agency N wants us to use for our home study (we have to use an Ohio agency for this) and I'm (im)patiently waiting for a call back. I looked over their website and found the list of required documents to complete the home study. WOW. This is where I feel like I'm at the bottom of a huge hill and I'm not sure if I'll make it to the top or back down. And it could take up to 2 months to complete. Ugh. Don't they know I wanted a baby like, forever ago????
I hope someday I can read The Little Engine That Could to my child and tell the story of how much I wanted him or her and how proud I am to be a mom.
Wow, I'm learning so much from you! N sounds amazing, and you're lucky to have it. I probably wouldn't have thought of those things either, but it makes sense.
ReplyDeleteWhat doesn't make sense is the discounted rates on biracial babies?!?! I never heard of that before. That seems crazy (and sad) to me, especially during this day in age.
I hope things proceed as quickly as possible!
I learned a lot in this blog entry too! N sounds really awesome! Things seem to be moving right along!
ReplyDeleteThat's crazy about the cost difference in different races! I would have never thought of that.
Have you ever read the picture book "I Knew You Could?" I don't know the author, but it came out a few years ago and it's about getting through hard times. It's one of those that is always on displays around graduation time. It's so good, I cry every time I read it!
I, too, learned a lot. DH and I have just started talking more seriously about adoption, but we already know that we are open to different races as well. It doesn't make an difference to me. I just want a child of my own (whether biologically or through adoption) to love. My sister's kids will be part Korean, and I would love to have children of a few different races. It saddens me that, in 2011, our society is still fighting the race battle.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have a great adoption support, I know I wouldn't be able to do it on my own either. I was shocked by the baby "discount" too when we got started. To play devil's advocate, I do think there are some families that should consider carefully adopting a child of another race. I/e really racist people in the family, never being able to expose them to another culture, etc... But I agree, how can you not love a child? I wish our society would just get over it. But, I was reading about this woman from the Czech republic where you are banned from adopting babies of a certain "unwanted" ethnicity and how they end up institutionalized- so, I guess it happens everywhere.
ReplyDeleteAdoption makes us think... A LOT... doesn't it?
-Jess
Jess, you are right in that some families shouldn't adopt from another race. And I do recognize that there will be "issues" for the child with having parents of a different race as well as adoption "issues." I'm not going to pretend things will be easy. I just hope staying informed and being aware of the differences will help me be a good parent to a child of any race. Thanks for your comment! :)
ReplyDeleteThe reality is that most adoptive parents are white, and most adoptive parents don't want it to be so immediately apparent their children were adopted. It still feels yucky, for lack of a better term, that biracial babies are less expensive to adopt, but maybe it means those babies are getting families that otherwise wouldn't. There's also a correlation between race and socioeconomic status, so perhaps it makes it more economically feasible for biracial and minority babies to be adopted by parents of their own race(s). Not that it's ok for that economic gap to exist and not that it's ok to market babies on things like race. Just that when you take the inflammatory connotations out of it, maybe it actually makes sense on a *completely* dry and clinical level. I don't know, I have a hard time believing that adoption agencies think biracial babies are less valuable; I feel like they must do it for good reason, and hopefully that reason is that it's been shown to help place children in good, loving homes.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Jess that most people don't choose to adopt within their own race because they can't love a baby of another race. Adoption period carries with it a lot of issues and things to think about and deal with. Interracial adoption, I can only imagine, elevates those issues further. That said, I'm certain there are non-adopted biracial children who often go out with one parent who is mistaken for the nanny or unrelated aunt or something.
The intricacies and ethics of adoption are a lot to think about. I'm glad that you guys have found such an awesome adoption consultant who can really help walk you guys through this process.
You make many very good points, C. As usual ;)
ReplyDeleteI love that book too! And you totally CAN do it!! I have another book you might love and I'm giving it away in honor of the National Adoption Convention. Here's a link: http://stressfreeinfertilityblog.com/2011/06/30/book-giveaway/
ReplyDeleteI'm also looking for guest bloggers this month to discuss adoption and it's various topics if you'd be interested! Let me know & thanks so much!
What a crazy process!! I am greatly enjoying reading your story! I gave you the Versatile Blogger Award!
ReplyDeleteJust like the Little Engine at the end of the book, I *know* you can. You'll get this done and you will have a special, wonderful baby in your arms.
ReplyDeleteYour family sounds like an incredibly warm and welcoming place for any child, regardless of race. I'm glad that you have such open siblings and parents and so many options for building your family.