Thursday, May 5, 2011

Our WTF appointment

So we had our appointment this morning with the RE to discuss our options. I was fully prepared for a doom and gloom scenario and for him to basically tell me how bad I suck. He really didn't. He went through all of my test results very matter-of-factly.
  • My prolactin was very elevated. He had blood work from my PCP a year ago that had it at 15 (normal), when they drew it during the last cycle it was 43.
  • My estrogen was 99 on day 3. Again, very high.
  • My FSH was normal on day 3 (6.9), but very elevated on day 10 (21)
  • My AMH was normal (1.56), but low normal (normal is 1-6)
  • My LH on day 10 was 23
  • I had multiple follicles on the baseline ultrasound. One matured to 30 (mm, I think)
  • I have a borderline uterine septum, which could hinder implantation
  • I have what he believes to be adenomyosis (inflammation) on my uterus. This can't be definitively diagnosed. It could hinder implantation, or it could not.
He said that if you look at some of my results independently, such as the FSH, it looks pretty bad. But if you look at all of the factors, with age still being the most important, there are still many options. He said with Femara, Gonal F, and IUI he gives us a 3-5% chance each cycle. A normal fertile couple only has a 20% chance to conceive each month. With IVF, he gives us a 5-15% chance. His recommendation is to try 2-3 cycles with the injectables and IUI, because if you look at the statistics 3 cycles would give us a 15% chance, and IVF gives us a 15% chance with just one attempt. Plus the cost of 3 IUI cycles would equal (or be less) than the cost of one IVF. And of course the IUI cycles are much less invasive. I'm not a huge believer in statistics, but I do trust his opinion. He also suggests a hysteroscopy to correct my uterine septum. It's not a "fix-it" surgery, but it will help the implantation environment. There is also a higher rate of miscarriage with a uterine septum so having the hysteroscopy would bring down my risk. Again, I think statistics are kind of BS- but I'll do whatever I can to help this process.

DH and I have a lot to talk about and consider, but at least we have options at this point. I think we will probably start with the hysteroscopy. Of course that means more WAITING, because I won't be able to get the surgery until early June. Then we have to wait for me to start another cycle before doing more treatments. ::sigh:: I'll do my best to be patient. I guess I have no choice.

3 comments:

  1. He seems like a great doctor, honest with the facts, but hopeful in that he's giving you some positive options.

    I had my septum removed 5 months ago (in December '10..I wrote a lot about it at the time). I had two miscarriages which my doc thought could have be attributed to it. It's hard to say, but I think it might be worth it for you to have it off your worry plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Statistics are BS, and all that ends up mattering is which side of them you fall on. I don't read much into them either, but they are good for just general relativity purposes when you're making these tough decisions.

    I'm glad this doctor had some good feedback and suggestions, and most importantly that you have confidence in him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about the numbers, but he sounds optimistic! Thinking of yall as you make these decisions. My RE said the same thing about age being on our side. Personally, I would be leaning towards getting the hysteroscopy first, too.

    ReplyDelete