Sorry it's been so long since I updated. These last 2 weeks have been a crazy, sleep deprived, blissful fog. My days pass and I look back and wonder what I did. Basically I feed Sadie, change Sadie, put her down to sleep, and then we start all over again. My friend S described it perfectly. "The days are short but the minutes are long." Motherhood is hard. Way harder than I ever imagined, but soooo worth it.
Breastfeeding is also very difficult. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. I wanted to quit so many times during the first week. I stuck it out during the second week, and now things are getting easier. Sadie is still eating every 3-4 hours so she's basically attached to my breast 24/7, but she is thriving and has gained 13 ounces since we left the hospital. She lost 10 ounces after birth so we are so pleased with her progress. After being so angry with my body during our journey through miscarriage and infertility, it feels amazing to know that things are actually working right and I'm able to feed my little girl.
The most difficult thing about breastfeeding is that it's all YOU. I can't be away from her for more than 2 hours because if she gets hungry, no one else can feed her. It's overwhelming, but it's also amazing and I really enjoy the closeness I feel when I nurse her. I'm working with a lactation consultant who is going to help me start pumping so DH can give her bottles occasionally. When I go back to work in October, I will hopefully pump enough for Sadie to get through the day, then nurse her at night. I've been using a great product called Milk Savers (check it out on Amazon) and I've already froze 8 ounces of breast milk just from leaking on the opposite side.
That's it for now- I have to take a shower while I have the chance. I'll leave you with some pictures of our sweet girl.
 |
| Happy Family |
 |
| I'm hungry! |
 |
| Sweet sleeper |
 |
| Always still room for the furry baby |
Ah, that last pic is killing me! So glad to hear an update from you.
ReplyDeleteJust came across your blog, congrats on your beautiful daughter! Our little miracles were born on the same day ;) I agree breastfeeding is so much harder than I thought it would be and there are numerous times I've wanted to quit too but I love that closeness only you can have during that time with your little one!
ReplyDeleteBreastfeeding was hardest the first 6 weeks. After that it was a breeze. If you can just get through the next month, you'll have it made! My other advice, absolutely shower when you can ;) She's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLOve the pics especially the last one!! Hugs Mama!
ReplyDelete