Sunday, February 5, 2012

Transitioning; and first OB appointment

Here's the problem with infertility blogs. They change direction. That's not a bad thing, because the main reason they change is because of a pregnancy or adoption. I've been feeling guilty blogging about my pregnancy because I know many of my readers are still struggling. Comments and traffic have slowed down some since my BFP, and I totally understand because I've been there. It's not that people aren't happy for me, it's just that it's still not happening for them. It's difficult to read about another person's experience when it's still.not.you. I get that, and completely understand if making the transition means I lose some readers. I'm not saying that this blog will only be about pregnancy, but it is a journal for me and the pregnancy is #1 in my life right now. I'm so sorry that all of my IF friends can't make the transition. I can only hope and pray that eventually they can.

Last week I had my first appointment with my OB. I was apprehensive because I was afraid I wouldn't receive the same care I did with the RE. They took me back to for my weight and blood work, and as soon as my OB saw me she gave me a big hug and said she was so happy for me. My fears were calmed, and even more so after she listened to all of my questions and concerns even though she had a full waiting room. I had a pap and some cultures done and got to hear the baby on the Doppler. I shared with my OB that I'm concerned about my cervix because I had a biopsy and a LEEP procedure done several years ago. She said that she's not too concerned since I only had one LEEP, but I would get an ultrasound every 4 weeks to monitor my cervical length and make sure everything was okay. Then she squeezed me in for an ultrasound that day! The tech saw the my SCH is almost gone, so one less thing for me to worry about. Oh, but more things got added to the worry list after that.

I have 2 fibroids. They weren't too concerned about them- but the tech measured them so we can keep an eye on whether they grow or shrink. The RE never said a word about fibroids, nor did the tech who did my NT scan and I know she scanned my ovaries and everything for masses because she saw the SCH. I'm wondering if they just appeared in the last few weeks? I asked Dr. G.oogle about fibroids and most of the time they aren't an issue, but they can cause problems if they get too large. I also have a posterior placenta, which is very common and not really a cause for concern either because it will likely move up. For now it just means no sex and no heavy lifting.

The other problem is that I have a bacterial infection. The nurse said it's very common and not a big deal, but of course I asked Dr. G.oogle and he says many evil things about them. This prompted me to call the nurse back and freak out, and she again explained that this happens a lot and we are treating it so everything should be fine. The 2 pregnancy books I have don't make a big deal about it. I'm going back on my probiotics (never should have went off them!) and my acupuncture doc said he would start seeing me again. I think Dr. G.oogle and I should just break all ties. He is not good for my anxiety and I'm questioning his medical expertise.

In the spirit of transition to pregnancy blogging- I leave you with a 14 week bump picture and a video I made of my at home Doppler. Baby T sounds like a galloping horse at the end! I hope these two things don't make me seem like an FH- but I feel that I should embrace this miracle while I can.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome, M! You look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's your blog, so blog about whatever it is you need to blog about. It will resonate with some people, but not with others. That's okay. You deserve to document this amazing blesing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google is bad. It makes you fear the worst every time. Please, don't apologies. I understand the guilt but it's not like you have forgotten you were infertile!! They were the only ones that drove me nuts!!! Congrats on graduating now the fun stuff starts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay - your bump is so adorable!!! Mine actually looks pretty similar to yours - but a lil smaller being a week behind you. I think I will be brave and post a pic sometime this week.

    I completely understand how difficult the transition is with blogging. I, too, have been struggling with this. I remember being on the other side of this and how hurt I would be reading others posts. Yes, I was happy for them but at the same time I longed to be experiencing pregnancy with them.

    So I am really excited that I ordered a doppler yesterday online. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm so incredibly nervous to use it. Now that you are 14/15 weeks - how long does it take you to find the heartbeat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LC. It takes me several minutes, and lately it seems like the baby moves away as soon as I find it. Take your time and feel around a lot. Also, I just use aloe (you don't need special gel) and I use a lot so I can move it around my whole belly. I usually find the baby way down by my hairline. I watched a couple of YouTube videos of other people using their dopplers so that helped me get an idea of how to do it. I also don't pay much attention to the display numbers because they are all over the place, I just mostly listen. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Love that belly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great! Glad your OB appt went well, and hope your infection goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete